GamblingStories.com
Sign in to follow this  
GamblingStories

16th of May 2017 - Back to Square #1

So I haven't said much recently but being honest I did gamble in the past few months, and I was up and down .. I tried to bet in so many systems, in "small" amounts (not like 2016), where I risked £100 - £800 per bet ...

Eventually taking the losses from the London trip into account then I'm around £82.00 losses and that's excluding the Vegas bet I placed in January, so I could say I am "up" $800 for the year 2017 but taking 2016 and all my gambling life into account I'm in a heavy losses from gambling, and not only monetary losses.

My last bet was today £310 on the NBA, under 213.5 at halftime in game 7 between Boston and Washington, didn't work out as "planned".

Although this time I wasn't risking "large amounts" like before (but don't get me wrong, a £300 bet is not a small amount neither) - I am realizing more and more that after so many "attempts" to make money from gambling it's simply difficult - and my approach wasn't an approach of let's try my luck ... I tried to analyze games, look at stats, try different trends etc. - it's just not working because it's not designed to work ... it's designed to create a disaster for anyone dealing with it.

I've limited my ability to deposit large amounts due to termination of Skrill and Neteller accounts (I spoke about it in 2016), and the more I realize this the more I get to learn how gambling is not profitable and even if it is - it comes with so many bad side effects (e.g. isolation, depression, rapid change of mood, laziness and more).

Now how can I kick this thing away from my life for good?!

1 hour ago, soxwin1917 said:

I thought this might be the case after reading your previous post. I hope you can draw upon the past counseling and stop gambling. Does your wife know about your current bets?

Thanks for coming by.

No, I haven't told her about it, mainly because the final "outcome" of all this is "meaningless" financially speaking but you're right - the search for isolation when gambling is definitely bad.

What about you? How are you doing so far?

I hope you tell her. You bringing up the isolation aspect of gambling really resonated with me.

As for me, I'm gambling again. Sure it feels good because I'm winning at the moment, but I still check this site with the hope it'll inspire me once again to take my winnings and walk away. We both know how impossible that is though.

Best of luck to you my friend. Keep us updated if you can.

On 5/17/2017 at 8:48 PM, soxwin1917 said:

I hope you tell her. You bringing up the isolation aspect of gambling really resonated with me.

As for me, I'm gambling again. Sure it feels good because I'm winning at the moment, but I still check this site with the hope it'll inspire me once again to take my winnings and walk away. We both know how impossible that is though.

Best of luck to you my friend. Keep us updated if you can.

I haven't responded to your post from a week ago simply because I was debating with myself how to approach this.

Surprisingly I also won a few bets, and lost a few as well but the ones with bigger stakes were winning bets - only NBA bets, some winning/losing bets were Tennis, one WNBA bet yesterday.

I am not sure what to say because after losing £100 on the WNBA yesterday (I tried the "buy low sell high" approach which failed), I didn't feel like I need to chase the losses, I just took the loss with understanding that's what gambling is.

Do I feel like everything is under control? Absolutely not ... still, with good evaluation of how my life is right now - I don't like it ... right now the business is not dong well - and it's not because of gambling - but because my business partner doesn't do much - it's annoying because I don't feel like I have stability like before (I still have sources of income but I just don't like the current situation) ....

I'm feeling a bit numb about the whole thing, I haven't placed bets for over £1,200 and most of my bets were for £100 - £400 which are "small" amounts in comparison to 2016.

I've realized even if I'm 10000% "sure" of something you should never bet a large amount on it just like I did with Brexit and with other NBA games last year (e.g. risking £6,000 on one single NBA game, that's absurd)....

But on the same time I'd like to kick this thing out of my life, I want to go to the gym, to be more active, to have 0% in my life for gambling if I could ... to be busy in a successful business, to work, take care of the family, improve our lives, I honestly don't feel like gambling has contributed anything in that aspect.

So yes - got some extra "cash" from all these bets but it's available now, next bet it could all be gone .... gambling cannot provide a solid income, it's not solid and it is based on randomness, and that element of randomness cannot be taken away from its very core and basic fundamentals ... is it a good habit? I honestly don't think so.

So that's all I can tell you ... we might be winning today, but who knows what would happen the next day, week, month, year or even a century! Also the word "winning" is not purely "winning" - it's money taken from someone else ... I'm not happy about all this but I know how difficult that is to get rid of it.

and looks like I'm giving up on my last attempt to stop using energetic treatment, it's just not working - or perhaps I can say it has worked for a while but honestly it was the big loss (after Brexit) that has driven me to stop ... and I cut more and more access to funds so I couldn't gamble with large amounts, so I think the best "treatment" is you working with your head and your own resources and either limiting this or at least mitigating the potential damage.

Good luck.