GamblingStories.com
Sign in to follow this  
webninja84

How to Keep Gambling at Bay

I have struggled in the past and found the best remedy to be getting it all out in the open, it gives you a sense of power over the addiction, I think you have to persevere with it though and continue to talk about it or else it could sneak back into your life. You can get a good account of it in Down the Slot which is available on Amazon. The link is below, you may have to paste the entire link to your browser.

https://www.amazon.com/Down-Slot-Derek-Anthony-Gibson-ebook/dp/B01MTJ3F6I/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1478348466&sr=8-9&keywords=down+the+slot

Has anyone anything else they do regularly to keep the demons at away?

I did purchase some eBooks from Amazon and I have to say it's quite very useful.

For me staying away was a combination of good treatment (not the regular one, no GA), eBooks, educating myself against it and slowly making my mind be aware of how bad gambling can be.

Absolutely, it doesn't have to be GA, I still believe that being able to talk about it with even a loved one or a friend does help,

it's about hearing yourself say the words and letting them hammer home the realization of what is happening.

I really think that hearing what others have been through and lost is good, so if GA isn't for everyone, Kindle Ebooks and informative websites help.

Absolutely, it doesn't have to be GA, I still believe that being able to talk about it with even a loved one or a friend does help,

it's about hearing yourself say the words and letting them hammer home the realization of what is happening.

I really think that hearing what others have been through and lost is good, so if GA isn't for everyone, Kindle Ebooks and informative websites help.

I've been go GA a few times, I find it hard to be useful.

Gambling is a lonely illness, it attack you when you're alone - if you go to GA for social reasons or just to be out of the house and expand some horizons - that's fine ... but if you want treatment you need to build it yourself, and yes - indeed, with your loved ones, do tell them about your problem, but your loved ones can help you more than some anonymous people who can't help themselves neither in one way or another.

I think GA is even some idea created by the gambling industry itself - I always like to go to the root of the problem - to find what's really holding it there and that's what you want to take out of your life.

It needs to be personal, it needs to involve your loved ones, it could be GA for some, but for a strong treatment it needs to be proper education - and the more you educate yourself why gambling is bad for you and make it rooted in your mind - the easier it will become for you to overcome it.

It took me around 2.5 years since I started this site and decided I want to completely stop, so there could be some progress and it could take more or less time for each individual but it's important to be on the right direction - I've been there since 2014 but only in June 2016 I was able to complete the transition and so I hope so .... I wanna keep it that way.